Beer (or Bean), Phares
Christine, Ella M.
Detweiler?, Sarah J.Oscar
Freed, J. Melvin ‘06
Freamand, Harry? Or Neamand?
Groff, Anna Verdelia
Hollenbach, Chas./John? R.
Knoll, Florence S.
Knorr, Florence L.
Kramer, Franklin U.
Kramer, Leidy S.
Kramer, Lulu D.
Kreiss, Sallie D. and Sallie Kreiss w/o D.(x2?)
Kulp, Doc ?
Miller, Florence S.
Moll, Ray or Roy ‘10
Moyer, Marion V.
Moyer, Paul or Pearl
Neamand, Harry (2x?)
Neamand, Mrs. Harry
Oberly, Elsie? Elese
Oberly, Howard H. (2x?)
Richard , Elsie O
Richard, Edna A.
Richard, Florence C.
Richard, Paul/Pearl W.
Rickert, Elsie O.
Rickert, Flora G. O?
Rickert, W. R. 1909
Rutter, Albert C.
Schmidt, Christian L?./Chester?
Sine, O. R.
Siney ? or Liney
Snyder, Anna M.
Steinly, Stinley, Anna/Alice
Evolution of Perkasie's Roads
The Evolution of Perkasie Roads
In the same newspaper as supplied the earlier citation, there is another passage which discusses the part cyclists played in bringing attention to road conditions. It states, “The bicycling mania is upon us; the knee breeches of the men, and the bloomer costume of the women cyclers are familiar to us all. They fly hither and thither, and all with a purpose, too. Their critical eyes detect… the bad condition of our suburban and country roads. Their reports have led to road reforms.”
This trend of community members bringing attention to road conditions in the local vicinity continues throughout Perkasie’s history, as is apparent in the meeting minutes reports from the Perkasie Chamber of Commerce. For instance, in 1922 a section of Hagersville Road was graded and prepared for stoning by “taxpayers and friends from Perkasie” as part of a Good Roads Day project. Road signs were also frequently procured and erected by local clubs and organizations, like the signs placed at the intersection of 5th Street and Concrete Road in 1939 by the Chamber of Commerce, Rotary Club, and Lions Club.
In 1890 Colonel Albert A. Pope wrote that “A nation, or an age of civilization, is perhaps more easily judged and understood by the character and extensiveness of its roads, than by any other symbol of progress.” In Perkasie the character and extensiveness of the roads are the result of community involvement and care stretching back to the town’s creation, with current road conditions and names reflecting this history.
“Make Your Roads Better” May 9, 1895 Central News Article
Perkasie Chamber of Commerce 1922-1945 Transcription of Meeting Topics prepared by Louise Doll of the Perkasie Historical Society
Building Perkasie Roads Poster
“An Address” January 23, 1890 Central News Article by Col. Albert A. Pope
We thank Jillian Lunoe of Bryn Mawr College, for writing this article for Perkasie Historical Society's "Memories of Perkasie"
Dr. Storm in Perkasie
While researching the American House blueprints for the last “Memories” article, the story of Dr. Katherine Storm came to light. An early female physician and inventor, Dr. Katherine Storm, lived just across the Perkasie Borough line and spent many years in the Perkasie area.
Dr. Storm was born in Columbia County, New York in 1857. After teaching school for 15 years, she earned her medical degree at the Woman’s Medical College of Philadelphia and practiced medicine from 1896 to 1917. In 1906, Dr. Storm patented the “Storm Binder” or “Storm Supporter” the first abdominal supporter. “She custom-made the belts herself out of silk, linen, and cotton. She had belts of all kinds for maternity, hernia, kidney, breast, obesity, sacroiliac, athletic stocking supporter, and infant supporter.” Dr. Storm was listed in the 1914-1915 Woman's Who's Who of America as a physician and an inventor.
Perkasie farmland that was part of the Perkasie Poultry business was purchased by Dr. Storm between 1911 and 1913. She moved to Perkasie in 1917, embraced farming, selling fruits and vegetable all the while selling her “Storm Binder.” The property was described as the “North side of the road to Hagersville” now called Fifth Street at Blooming Glen Road. Today, the Pennridge High School complex surrounds the property on the North and East. The farmhouse is now 1326 North Fifth Street.
In 1916, Dr. Storm visited Florida because her nephew, Dr. John Corsa was interested in purchasing property at Vero Beach. The local newspapers reported in January 1917 that Dr. Katherine Storm was purchasing 160 acres of the former Indian River Demonstration Farm. She would return to Pennsylvania and leave the management of “Storm Groves” to her nephew. The property was eventually sold to the School Board of Indian River County and in 2005, the Storm Grove Middle School was constructed becoming the first “green” school in Indian River County Florida.
Dr. Katherine Storm died in an automobile accident in 1938. The car in which she was a passenger struck a telephone pole on route 563 near Almont. She is buried in St Stephen's Cemetery in Perkasie.
Thank you to Pamela J. Cooper, Retired librarian, historian, genealogist of Vero Beach, Florida as well as Dr. and Mrs. Charles Fulp for providing information for this Memory.
Milton Bean’s American House
A hotel was opened by Aaron Kern in the frame building at Seventh and Market Streets in 1870. Phillip S. Cressman purchased the hotel building in 1884 from the second owner, Oliver Nase. Having only “8 guest chambers” in the building, Cressman saw the need to construct a new hotel on the site. The frame structure was picked up and moved to North Sixth Street for use as a residence.
Constructed in 1894, the new brick hotel had 39 rooms that were heated by steam and lighted by gas. The tower “is probably the highest point in town, and from the observatory one can discern towns in three counties besides more than a dozen local villages.”
Not long ago, some of the American House blueprints, drawn by architect Milton Bean were discovered. They show the magnificent exterior details and the layout of the first-floor dining and bar area. The blueprints also show the details for the adjoining stores that were along the Seventh Street side of the hotel.
The chamber had its beginnings in 1905 as the Perkasie Board of Trade. This organization, made up of Perkasie businessmen, was involved in promoting Perkasie in hopes of establishing new industry in town. In early days they were involved in organizing local investors to build cigar factories and silk mills. They helped make Perkasie a safer and better place to live by pushing for improved roads, petitioning the railroad for better and safer train service, and the establishment of the Second Street Playground.
Organized in 1920, The Perkasie Chamber of Commerce succeeded the Board Trade as an advocate for the citizens and businesses. The chamber continued and expanded the philanthropic and organizational role played by the Board of Trade in the annual Christmas celebrations. They provided funding for town Christmas lights and organized Santa’s arrival events and children’s parties. For many years, the chamber and local businesses ran the “Trade and Travel” promotion where customers could win a vacation by making Christmas purchases at participating merchants.
In 2020, Betty Graver, the Pennridge Chamber Executive Director retired and closed the doors of the office for the last time. The Upper Bucks Chamber of Commerce, located in Quakertown assumed all duties once performed by the Perkasie office. The building at Market Street was sold in 2020 and will become apartments.
The Living Memorial
Shortly after the end of World War II, the Perkasie American Legion, Post 280, established the Living Memorial at the Second Street Playground. In the spring of 1947, a tree was planted along the Northern end of the park for each of the twenty-two local men who gave their lives during the war.
The trees serve as both a living memorial and as a beautification project of the popular park. The entire project cost of $600 was financed by the Hartzel - Crouthamel American Legion Post 280 and “was not to be construed as a town or community Memorial.”
The Living Memorial was dedicated in September 1947. There was a parade through the streets of Perkasie to the playground where the dedication ceremony was held. A lacquered plaque bearing a scriptural passage and the names of the twenty-two who gave their lives was also dedicated.
Memories of Perkasie
Sharing interesting connections between Perkasie's people, places and events.