The Duck Farm
The Perkasie Historical Society Museum receives all kinds of donations from all different eras, but it is always exciting when we receive an artifact that can be tied to other items in our collection.
We recently completed archiving a large number of deeds, a few which were for properties along what is now the east Branch Perkiomen Creek by Kulp Park on 2nd street, Perkasie.
Research confirmed that on April 15, 1897, Henry O. Moyer and Isaac Groff purchased 26 acres and 2 lots of land from Charles Bissey. By September of the same year, they had improved the property with the building of a barn to be fitted with incubators to raise ducks. The creek was also dammed, and 2 artificial lakes were to be built to raise fine food fish as well as providing water for the ducks.
This was confirmed by correspondence found in an envelope labeled “Marge Cusante's grandmother.” The letter dated July 25, 1898, between “Lorna” and Elizabeth” mentions going down to the duck farm to see the ducklings.
However, by October of 1898, Henry O. Moyer and Isaac Groff announced that the land purchased from Charles Bissey would be sold, although it wasn’t until September 5, 1907, that the Henry O. Moyer Estate sold the duck farm. The land was further divided into lots and new pavements were installed.
In April 1924, the Perkasie school board purchased 12 acres between 2nd Street and the creek, and in 1930 the public playground was opened. Today this is the Frank R. Kulp Playground.
S.Murga, L.Doll, RDoll
Sharing interesting connections between Perkasie's people, places and events.
Navigation Hint: The postings can be viewed by date, by topic category, or in reverse chronological order (most recent posting first)