Fridrich “Frederick” Knoll
A resident contacted the Perkasie Historical Society about looking at a tombstone that was found on his property. The stone was in German and from a child named Fridrich Knoll who lived for a little over two years (1856 – 1859). This time frame was before the incorporation of Perkasie Borough in 1879, and before the Perkasie Central News began publishing the local newspaper in 1881. We turned to society member, Judy Pezzanite, who is proficient in genealogical research for help. Searching Find a Grave and Ancestry .com, Judy was able to solve the mystery.
Fridrich Knoll was the son of Lewis and Hannah Knoll who lived in Hilltown. They had six children, Hannah, Mary, Amanda, Fridrich, Frank and Charles. Fridrich survived for only two years and 4 months and is buried in St Peter’s Union Cemetery in Hilltown. One of the children, Frank Knoll, moved to Perkasie in 1894 and became the first Funeral Director in town. He lived at the corner of Fifth and Chestnut Streets and constructed the three-story building on Chestnut Street for his funeral business.
The current tombstone for Frederick Knoll is in English and replaced the original German language stone. Later, the original tombstone was turned over and repurposed, as a steppingstone in a Perkasie backyard.
Rick Doll 2020
Sharing interesting connections between Perkasie's people, places and events.
Navigation Hint: The postings can be viewed by date, by topic category, or in reverse chronological order (most recent posting first)