Bits and Pieces from the Past
The home at 818 Callowhill Street now incorporates stones from Perkasie’s past. The stones, originally used for roads and, as part of a classic Perkasie home have been reused in the construction of two fireplaces and a wall along the Callowhill side of the house.
The smaller blocks with more rounded edges were Belgian block used for paving the roads. Thousands of blocks were used for Perkasie’s streets. The block roads were bumpy, noisy and could be slippery when wet. The block roads were eventually covered with asphalt and forgotten. Many years later, when roads needed improvements, the stones were revealed.
The larger more irregular stones were from a house at Market and Seventh Streets, now the site of the town Christmas tree. The house was constructed of Rockhill Gray Granite, quarried locally at Rockhill Quarry. Constructed in 1896 by Joseph Hendricks, the house survived until 1967 when it was demolished as part of an urban renewal project.
Ed Snyder was able to save both types of stones, as they were being discarded. He and his Father-in-law did all the stonework, incorporating the Belgian block, Rockhill Granite and local fieldstones into both fireplaces and exterior wall. Ed recently moved from his house on Callowhill Street, but his stonework will continue to be appreciated for years to come.
Rick Doll 2022
Sharing interesting connections between Perkasie's people, places and events.