As the 1960’s began, the Borough of Perkasie looked at refreshing the community Christmas decorations. The lights that were strung across streets and intersections during the 1950’s were replaced with candle decorations attached to the telephone poles.
To highlight the South Perkasie Covered Bridge it was decided to create an “artificial” tree next to the bridge. The bridge move to Lenape Park in 1958 raised local awareness of the bridge and drew national media attention.
To construct the tree, the Perkasie Electric Department placed a telephone pole near the southwest end of the bridge. The light strings that once were strung across Perkasie’s streets were attached to the top of the pole. The strands would radiate from the top and attach in a circle on the ground. The result was a Christmas tree design when the red, yellow and green light bulbs were illuminated. A star with white lights topped the tree.
Christmas 1962, the town community tree at the bridge was illuminated for the first time. The covered bridge itself, was also illuminated with spot- lights creating a beautiful Christmas scene.
The tree at the covered bridge remained part of Perkasie’s Christmas lighting until 1980 when a small tree was planted at the intersection of Seventh and Market Streets. This tree, initially decorated by the Girl Scouts, and later the Perkasie Electric Department, became the town Christmas Tree and focus of the current “Tree Lighting Event.”
Sharing interesting connections between Perkasie's people, places and events.