Apartment Building
Formerly
Cigar Manufacturing Building
820 W. Market Street
The factory building at Ninth and Market Streets was constructed circa 1910 by local investors. Theobold and Oppenheimer Cigar Company of Philadelphia was the first occupant followed by Hillbronner and Jacobs Cigar Company and later General Cigar Company. The Roig and Langsdorf Cigar Company purchased the building and produced cigars there until 1921.
After cigar making ended the building remained unoccupied until 1929 when Lilly Manufacturing Company of Philadelphia purchased the building to manufacture hardware and metal novelties. In 1936, Coons and Company leased the building to manufacture woman’s silk undergarments.
1943 August 12, 1943 - Central News Stader Splint employment Ad
The William Stader Instrument Company manufactured surgical instruments here during the 1940’s. Their major product was the “Stader Reduction Splint,” manufactured for the Navy Medical Department during World War II. After the war, the name of the company was changed to Staderline Products as their production changed to hardware and plumbing products.
Always Moving and Storage owned by Carolyn and George Hammerschmidt used the building for storage from 1961 until 1983 when William Draper purchased the property for his cabinet making business. The building was sold to Viking Development Group and renovated into six apartments in 2014.
Doll